There are several possible causes for experiencing vaginal dryness. Figuring out what is causing vaginal dryness is a good first step to finding a solution.
A decrease in estrogen is probably the main reason for vaginal dryness, a decrease in estrogen levels will reduce the amount of vaginal lubrication, as well as a thinning out of the vaginal lining, making it less elastic. Decreases in estrogen can be caused by a number of factors, including:
- After childbirth and while breast feeding
- Menopause and perimenopause
- Radiation and chemotherapy
- Surgical removal of ovaries
- Cigarette smoking
- Decreased sexual activity