The Bottom Line
- Widely available, easy to find.
- Thick consistency is good for anal sex and sex toys.
- Minimal taste, doesn’t stain sheets.
- Relatively long lasting lubricant.
- Contains both glycerin and methylparaben.
- Doesn’t last as long as silicone lubricants.
- Water based, condom compatible, safe for use with all sex toys.
- One size only, squeeze bottle with a flip top.
- Does not contain a spermicide.
Guide Review - Astroglide Gel
Astroglide was one of the earliest “second generation” lubricants to come on the market. Far superior to the original KY, Astroglide was made specifically for sex play and offered a longer lasting and more user friendly product. The company was also smart enough to market to health care professionals, and it became a favorite recommendation of doctors and sex therapists.
Several years after introducing Astroglide, the company developed Astroglide Gel (originally called “Astrogel”) in response to requests for a lubricant with a thicker consistency. Astroglide Gel is essentially the same product as Astroglide, only thicker. As a result, it’s a lubricant that stays where you put it and doesn’t easily slide off the hand, fingers, or other body parts. This makes it much easier to use with sex toys during anal sex, and for people with less mobility who might find thinner lubes difficult to manipulate.
Purified Water, Glycerin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Chlorhexidine Gluconate, Methylparaben, Glucono Delta Lactone, Sodium Hydroxide