Elastomers in Sex Toys:
- In response to concerns about phthalates some manufacturers have started using elastomers to make soft rubber like sex toys.
- Elastomers are very different from the inexpensive PVC used for most sex toys. They contain no phthalates, are hypoallergenic and durable. No solvents are used in the process of manufacturing.
- Elastomers are usually suitable for people concerned with allergic reactions or chemical sensitivities.
Care and Cleaning of Elastomer Sex Toys:
- Elastomers are porous so care should be taken to clean them properly.
- They can be cleaned with mild soap and water.
- Only use a water based personal lubricant with silicone and rubber mixed sex toys.
- Because they are porous it's recommended to use condoms on sex toys that are made primarily of elastomers.
Safer Sex and Elastomer Sex Toys:
- It is possible to transmit infections on sex toys that have not been sterilized.
- Because elastomer sex toys cannot be boiled (like silicone sex toys ) use a condom to keep them clean and free of bacteria.
- If you are going to share a sex toy with a partner use a condom on the toy to prevent transmission of bodily fluids.
- While it is not recommended, if you are going to use a toy both vaginally and anally use a condom to prevent transmission of bacteria.