There were always cheap knock offs of the Magic Wand, but those manufacturers copied the shape and design without matching the strength and quality of the motor, a losing proposition. Since the early 2000s a couple of smarter sex toy designershave come along looking not to replace the Magic Wand but to refine it, or offer meaningful alternatives for those who love it but might want something else.
Swedish toy designer LELO has now entered the fray with their Smart Wands, powerful wand style massagers available in two sizes and offering a few nice additions along with some unnecessary bells and whistles.
LELO Smart Wand Vibrator Inside and Out
Two push buttons control the strength of vibration and a third button allows you to switch between eight modes of vibration (i.e. pulsing, rolling up and down). Hold the middle button down for 3 seconds and the Smart Wand enters "SenseTouch" mode. In this mode the vibrator starts at a low hum and speeds up when the head comes into contact with a body. The firmer the vibrator is pressed against skin, the faster the motor goes. This feels a bit gimmicky. Pressure and vibration are two different sensations, and while many will want both at equal measures, some people will want a lot of pressure with mild vibration, while others will thrill to the feeling of a high speed buzz lightly brushing across their body. Of course you don't need to use this mode, so it's just an extra that may be unnecessary.
The real heart of the toy is the powerful motor which runs for up to 2 hours on a single charge (and takes about the same amount of time to fully charge). It isn't quite the same as the Hitachi Magic Wand, but it's the closest thing I've felt in a rechargeable massager of this size. It is also remarkably quiet, something that can't be said for the toy that inspired its creation.
Like most LELO products, the Smart Wand comes with a travel lock option, which makes it safer for sex toy airplane travel. It also comes with a one year warranty, and what they call a 10 year guarantee, which states that if your toy breaks in the first ten years, you can purchase another for 50% off. You just need to register the product and keep your receipt!
Pros and Cons
- Lighter and smaller than the Magic Wand, the design is great for couples and for solo play.
- A powerful but quiet motor that features multiple speeds and eight modes of vibration.
- Rechargeble and fully waterproof, possibly the most powerful waterproof vibrator on the market.
- The three button control mechanism can be confusing in the dark, making it easy to press the wrong button, lose track of where you are, and throw everything just a little off rhythm.
- While it may be more convenient in size and more attractive in design, it's still less powerful and more than twice the price of the Magic Wand.
Tips on Using the Smart Wand
Don't use the Smart Wand while it is charging