The Bottom Line
- Powerful, high quality Japanese motor.
- Fully waterproof, easy to clean and safe for use in the water.
- Good price for quality.
- Discreet design.
- Jimmyjane version comes with a one year warranty.
- As a hard plastic toy it generates a significant loud buzz.
- The handle vibrates in a way that can make prolonged use annoying.
- Single speed may not be a good choice for first-time vibrator users.
- Hard plastic vibrator comes with one hard plastic tip.
- Battery powered motor uses one "AA" battery.
- The toy opens in the middle with a twist to insert the battery. Another twist turns the toy on.
Guide Review - Pocket Rocket
The Pocket Rocket was one of the first sex toy success stories. As the shock radio personality Howard Stern was himself building a brand, he made several references on his show to using and loving the Pocket Rocket. This unsolicited endorsement (this was well before most sex toy manufacturers had even considered hiring publicists, before blogging, and before Sex in the City) had a huge impact on sales, and customers began going into sex stores to ask for the Pocket Rocket by name.
And yet it's important to understand that the actual Japanese-manufactured product is available from several manufacturers under many different names. And other manufacturers have put the name on products that are not of the same quality. Such is the wild west nature of sex toy manufacturing.
The original Pocket Rocket was unique because it had a better quality Japanese motor and it was waterproof. It was a completely stripped down vibrator, no multiple speeds, no realistic design, and just for external (usually marketed as clitoral) stimulation.
It remains a great basic vibrator for people who like strong, focused external stimulation and don't want a sex toy that looks like a body part. The main drawbacks to the Pocket Rocket are that it is loud (like most small hard plastic vibrators) and that it is single speed. If it's your first sex toy it can be better to choose something more versatile that will offer a range of vibration speeds.
But if there were a museum of important sex toys in history, the Pocket Rocket has earned its place in the foyer, and continues to prove its value even today.