Any vibrator can be used externally for anal stimulation, but for anal penetration you should only use a vibrator designed to be an anal vibrator. To be safe for this the vibrator must:
- Be seamless, with no sharp edges, rough pointy bits, or anything that can easily come off.
- Have a wide flared base, or ring, or something significantly big enough to prevent it from being drawn up into the rectum. When you insert something in the anus, there is a suction-like effect where objects can be drawn up into the rectum.
There are three different styles of anal vibrator; butt plugs, anal dildos, and anal beads. People who are interested in exploring anal penetration often find the feeling of vibration is helpful in letting them relax and also in creating more arousal. Unlike external stimulation, when it comes to anal vibration, a little often goes a long way.
Another safety consideration is proper cleaning. An anal vibrator that is made of inexpensive rubber may be porous and impossible to clean properly. For this reason it’s recommended that you select a material that is easy to clean (silicone, metal, hard plastic) or use a condom on your toy each time you use it.
Anal Vibrator Pros:
- Vibration can increase relaxation and make anal penetration more fun
- Anal vibrators are the only vibrators that are safe for anal penetration
- Many anal vibrators are designed to stimulate the prostate in men
Anal Vibrator Cons:
- Less versatile, anal vibrators are usually only good for one thing
- An inexpensive or poorly designed anal vibrator may be dangerous
- Most anal vibrators contain inexpensive motors and have short life spans
When choosing an anal vibrator first decide if you're looking for a plug, dildo, or beads. Some anal vibrators have separate battery packs where the batteries and speed dial are; others have the batteries in the body of the vibrator. The other key decision is size. It’s always best to start small and work your way up. If you’re looking for an anal vibrator for a man you may want to choose one with a curve for prostate stimulation. Finally, when possible, getting an anal vibrator with a removable motor is best. This makes it easier to clean and also allows you to replace the motor, which in most cases will die out before the body of the vibrator does.