There are many different kinds of wearable vibrator, but the common feature of all of them is that they allow you to feel vibration without having to hold a toy in place. All wearable vibrators will have a motor, some sort of control/speed mechanism, and then a way of attaching the vibrator to the body.
Most wearable vibrators either fit around the waist (offering clitoral stimulation) around the base of the penis (providing either clitoral stimulation or stimulation of the scrotum) or on the finger (offering a vibration to go along with touch of the hand). They can be fun, and if you either can’t hold a vibrator (or don't want to) they allow you to use one without holding it.
That said, all wearable vibrators have drawbacks. The ones designed to fit around the waist are usually made with cheap straps that stretch out and don’t fit properly. And both the waist and the penis ring vibrators rarely provide the kind of pressure people want or need. In the end, many people find that even if they’re using a wearable vibrator, they are using one hand to hold it in place or apply more pressure.
Wearable Vibrator Pros:
- Allows for hands-free vibration, puts less of the focus on the sex toy
- Can provide extra stimulation during intercourse that partners need to get over the top
- For some people with mobility disabilities, wearable vibrators can be accessible sex toys
Wearable Vibrator Cons:
- Often don’t fit properly or comfortably
- Unless additional pressure is applied, they often don’t feel strong enough to be useful
- The can actually get in the way of sex if they don’t fit right
When choosing a wearable vibrator the first decision is what style. Vibrators designed to go around the base of the penis tend to provide more stimulation for the wearer than for the partner (even though they are marketed as being equally good for both partners). Wearable vibrators that fit on the finger or hand offer the greatest versatility. If you’re considering a vibrator that fits around the waist, make sure to ask about the sizing, what the straps are made of, and whether you can return it if it doesn’t fit.