When used consistently and correctly, male condoms
can be up to 98% effective in preventing the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases. But for a condom to work properly, it has to be put on and removed properly.
Time Required: With practice, you can put a condom on in a few seconds.
- Check the expiration date on the condom.
If you have a condom without an expiration date, do not use it.
- Carefully open the package.
Watch out for your teeth, sharp nails, rings, or anything you might have on your hands that could damage the condom.
- Which side is up?
Most condoms only roll on the penis one way. Make sure the resevoir tip (the little pointy hat part) is facing away from your penis before you put it on the tip of the penis.
- If you are uncircumcised, pull back your foreskin before rolling the condom on.
- Put the rolled-up condom over the tip of your penis.
You should be able to see or feel the tip, and that there is space for the semen to collect.
- Pinch the air out of the tip of the condom.
Doing this decreases the chances that the condom will break or burst off when you ejaculate.
- If you can use both your hands, use them.
With one hand holding onto the condom at the head of your penis, use your other hand to unroll the condom all the way to the base of the penis. Make sure it is rolled all the way down the shaft.
- Add a little extra lubricant.
If you're not using a pre-lubricated condom, you will probably want to add some water based lubricant to the outside of the condom. Even if you are using a lubricated condom, using extra lubricant increases sensitivity and reduces the chance of a condom breaking.
- Have sex!
- Hold on before you pull out.
After ejaculation you should hold onto the condom at the base of your penis as you pull it out, to make sure it doesnt slip off.
- Be considerate, clean up well.
If you're looking to be extra considerate (and in case you have any pets who like to dig through your garbage) you can tie a knot in the condom so none of the contents spills out.
- Putting a few drops of lubricant in the resevoir tip before you roll the condom on your penis can increase sensitivity.
- Please don't flush your condoms down the toilet.